Monday, December 3, 2012

Finishing up Transmission and Over Drive



Finished filling the Transmission and OD took approx. 2 quarts, although, I could not find the exact fill amount in any of my shop manuals.  A small leak did show up at the rear of the main shaft, bushing housing at the drive shaft. It took those three days for enough oil to seep into all the gears, that's why I did it that way.

OD cable bracket
I'm now working on removing the OD cable to soak it and free it up. It was easy enough to remove from the governor control, but there is a bracket further forward holding it to the top of the transmission case that it runs through that I can't get to without removing the gear shifting rods.
Governor control, OD cable.


Since we're getting our hands and hair dirty I might as well add Differential oil as well. Not easy to get into. I wedged the bottle between the exhaust pipe and the gas tank and held it there with a piece of folded cardboard and left that for a day until it was empty, about 3/4 of a bottle full. Note to remember, don't tighten the plug bolt too much, the differential housing is some kind of soft alloy, wouldn't want to have to replace that. The seal is starting to go though, but not too bad yet, I'll keep an eye on that.

My little helpers

Let that sit for a day



In case any one wonders what to do with those great kids play mats when your kids get too old for them... they are great in the garage on the cold cement, I also have a lot of cardboard under the car to catch grease, it also makes it easier to slide around under there.  I get large boxes from a local bike shop for free, but don't forget to remove the large staples.



No comments:

Post a Comment